• Home
  • McDonough:
    (770) 957 3937
  • Stockbridge:
    (770) 389 4864
  • Jackson:
    (770) 775 3188
  • Barnesville:
    (770) 358 3630

What Are My Money Damages?

Article by John P. Webb
Article Date: 7/25/2008 1:10:28 PM

Can I get compensation for lost wages? Who pays for my medical expenses? I have a permanent injury from an accident, what should I do?

If you have been injured as a result of the negligence or wrongdoing of someone else, you are entitled to the following money damages:

1. Medical Expenses: You are entitled to the actual medical expenses that were incurred as a result of the negligence or wrongdoing of another person. This includes doctors’ bills, emergency room bills, ambulance bills, bills for diagnostic tests such as X-RAYS, MRI’s, CT scans, etc., bills for medicine, bills for equipment such as cervical collars, braces, walking devices, etc., bills for physical therapy, home health care or any other cost associated with your medical treatment, including future medical bills.  

2. Lost Wages: You are entitled to compensation for time that you have lost from work as a result of the accident (including future lost wages) for medical treatment, rest, physical therapy for other causes associated with the accident that may follow the accident.

3. Pain and Suffering and Lost Enjoyment of Life: How much would you pay if you no longer had to experience the pain associated with your injury? While there may be no scientifically based mathematical formula for computing this number, there is no doubt value associated with having to endure pain. No matter how great or how small the pain is, the truth is that it is there and it usually persists for some time, often a lifetime.

You are entitled to compensation for time that you have lost from work as a result of the accident (including future lost wages)
In addition, you are entitled to compensation for those things that you can no longer do as a result of your injury that change your lifestyle such as recreational activities, gardening, golf, tennis, hiking, jogging, etc. Many people would gladly pay to play a round of golf or have someone to tend to their yard. Well, what if you can’t, certainly there is value in that loss. The bottom line is that pain and suffering is a very real injury that deserves real compensation.

4. Permanent Impairment: It may be that your injury has resulted in a permanent partial loss of your physical abilities. For instance, you may no longer be able to lift anything more than twenty pounds, perform household chores, laundry, cooking, cleaning, yard work,  caring for your children or other loved ones, or run or walk the way you used to. This is a distinct and separate injury from pain and suffering and also has value for which you are entitled to recover.

5. Property Damage: Obviously you are entitled to have your car repaired or replaced if the loss was caused by the negligence of someone else. However, once a vehicle has been in an accident it loses value and you are also entitled to the diminished value of your vehicle. If your vehicle was damaged due to the negligence of another it is important to make sure your vehicle is properly repaired, that your warranty is not negatively impacted, that the repair shop uses the right replacement parts and that you get full compensation for the diminished value of your vehicle.
For negotiating your injury claim, it is important to have a lawyer who is knowledgeable and experienced enough to properly document and demand compensation for all of your damages.
Keywords: lost wages, auto, accident, wreck, attorney, car, 18-wheelers, semi trucks, damages, property, pain, suffering, medical, bills, henry, georgia, atlanta, john webb, wages, motorcycle
John P. Webb John P. Webb

John Webb specializes in personal injury: car accidents, medical malpractice, motorcycle wrecks, slip & fall, tractor trailer accidents, dog bites, and product liability. John has appeared as a guest commentator, providing legal opinions on personal injury for CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. John's office is in Stockbridge, Georgia and he offers free consultations on personal injury cases.

Add your own comment


You must be logged in to comment.

Other articles
Where is the Henry County Superior Courthouse located?
Henry County Georgia - Where do I file for divorce? Which county's Superior County do I file the complaint? Which attorneys at SWWW handle divorce and child custody? How do I get to the Henry County Superior Court? Read more »
Article Date: 2/12/2013 10:42:21 AM |
Divorce in Georgia - Answers to Common Questions
In Georgia, where does one file for divorce? How do I file for divorce? Is there a way to live apart without getting a divorce? What should I do if I receive a complaint for divorce in Georgia that my spouse has filed? Read more »
Article Date: 1/8/2013 10:03:09 AM |
What Should I Do If I Have Been Involved In A Car Accident?
What should you do if you have been in a car accident in Georgia? Do I need a personal injury attorney? Who should pay for your medical bills resulting from the auto wreck? Who should talk to your insurance company when they start calling you? Should you talk with the other party involved in the accident if they call you? Read more »
Article Date: 9/17/2012 12:00:00 AM |
Divorce in Georgia - What About The Children?
In Georgia, how does child support work? With a divorce, can the parents share custody? Can payment for college be part of the divorce agreement? Does the age of the child matter when getting a divorce? Read more »
Article Date: 8/15/2012 5:16:56 PM |
Who Should Pay For My Medical Bills, My Car Repair And A Rental Car?
You are involved in an auto accident or car wreck, who is going to pay for your hospital bills, car repair, and other damages? Should I accept my insurance company's offer for damages to my car? Read more »
Article Date: 6/21/2012 9:39:50 PM |